Thursday, September 20, 2012

They See Me Debatin', They Hatin

This debate totally took my by surprise. I never expected to enjoy it so much or to have such a hard time keeping my mouth shut! Like many other members of my group, I was selected to argue the side of affirmative, which is not what my initial choice would have been. However, as my group and I researched the subject and really took the time to learn how the other side felt, it became much easier to form an argument for the side I was on. It is amazing how once you take the time to understand where someone else is coming from that you begin to see things from their perspective and maybe gain an understanding for why they feel the way they do, even if you still do not agree. That is the biggest thing I took away from this debate, and I feel that it is such an important part of life. Learning to keep an open mind to other people's thoughts, feelings, and beliefs-especially the ones that differ from yours- will help so much as you grow as a person and begin to shape your view of the world.

Whenever I first began preparing for this debate, I hated the idea of having to argue that The Adventures of Huck Finn is a racist book. It seemed ridiculous and silly for anyone to raise the idea that the use of a word could cause such a big deal, and I felt as if we had no argument, or a very weak one at best. However, my opinion was drastically changed as I dug in and began researching the history behind the word and really studied different passages in the book that focused around that issue. My perspective widened as I began to understand some of the harmful effects of misusing this word and just how painful it truly could be to certain people groups. It helped me to learn how to objectively study an issue without letting my biased opinions sway me in either direction (which was hard at first!).

As I look back on the whole experience, I feel that I have truly picked up some useful strategies on how to be able to put myself in someone else's shoes and really take the time to see where they are coming from, because you never know when your opinion might be different than what you thought it was. Yes, I still feel that the use of the word nigger in the book is an effective teaching tool. I still stand by my original opinion that it is not a racist book. However, I respect the other side more now for what they feel about it too, because I took the time to realize why they felt the way they do, and I learned what it feels like to feel the way they do.

This debate was loads of fun. I would definitely say that we would all enjoy another one before this semester is out! Thanks Mrs. Henderson!

No comments:

Post a Comment